It is mandatory for all universities/institutions offering professional and technical courses in India to berecognized by the national-level statutory bodies established for the maintenance of norms and standards. Indian degrees are recognized worldwide. It is the responsibility of the students to make necessary enquiries in this regard, to satisfy themselves.

Indian universities do not insist on such requirements. However, since the academic programmes are taught in English medium, proficiency in English is a must. A prospective student should have studied Higher Secondary in English medium or English should have been one of his/her subjects.

The following websites provide useful information:


The Government of India provides a number of scholarships for students. Students can get information about scholarships, offered from time to time, by visiting the website:

India offers various kinds of visas, depending on the purpose of visit. Student visa is specifically for the students wanting to come to India for education purposes. Student Visas are issued for the duration of the academic course of study or for a period of five years whichever is less, on the basis of letters of admission from universities/recognized colleges or educational institutions in India. The children of NRIs and PIOs need not procure a student visa. Other international students need student visa, or research visa (for Doctoral level courses).

Students need to procure confirmed letters of admission from universities or recognized colleges and institutions in India. Student visas can be obtained from any of the Indian Missions, by producing these letters of admission, along with the duly completed visa application form.

To apply/ be eligible for a student visa, you need to conform to the following conditions. If you have been selected for a Government of India scholarship, the respective Indian Missions would be advised by Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) to issue a regular student visa, after your admission in an Indian university is confirmed. However, if you are travelling to India as a self-financing student, you need to produce letters of admission from the University for obtaining the regular student visa. If you are travelling to India as a research student, the synopsis of the research project, countersigned by the University, along with letter of approval and no objection certificate from the concerned Ministries in India, should be submitted for necessary visa.

There is nothing to worry if your admission is still not confirmed. Students who do not have firm letters of admission from the University are issued Provisional Student Visa by the Indian Missions concerned, on the basis of provisional letters of admissions. However Provisional Student Visa is valid only for 3 months. Within these 3 months, your admission needs to be confirmed; otherwise you will have to leave India. Note: No extension of Provisional Student Visa is permitted.

You need to mention the name of the Institute while applying for the visa, which is then mentioned specifically on the visa. A request for change of university or institution subsequently made, cannot be considered. In this case, you would be required to go back to your home country and apply for a new visa.

"Change of purpose" of visit of international students to India is not allowed once they arrive in India. Therefore, if you come to India on tourist or any other type of visa, you cannot get this visa changed to student visa. According to government regulations, if an international student coming to India on a tourist or any other type of visa (except a student visa ), obtains admission into a university or any institution in India, the student will be required to return to his country and obtain a new visa (i.e. a student visa) from the Indian Mission there. To avoid this situation, all international students are advised to obtain regular or provisional student visa from Indian Missions abroad by producing confirmed or provisional letters of admission from a university or an institution.

Yes, you can, provided you have been confirmed admission to a course in a reputed/recognised institute in India.

The visa can be applied for at the High Commission of India/Embassy of India, in your country, through the Visa Application Centres.

Yes, while applying for a visa you need to keep in mind the following requirements:

Passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of intended departure from India should accompany your visa application. Students holding other nationalities (other than the country where applying for visa), should submit proof of long-term (at least three years)/ permanent residence in the country (where applying).

For citizen of other countries, a reference has to be made to their country of residence, for which an additional fee is applicable and will involve extra processing time.

Repeated inquiries about the status of application during this time will not be entertained.

The fee structure depends on the nationality of the passport holder and the type/duration of visa applied.

Foreign students holding Student Visas valid for more than 180 days are required to register themselves with the local Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO - http://frro. in/) within 14 days of arrival.

So far as admission to diploma/degree/post-graduate degree in engineering and Technology, Architecture & Town Planning, Pharmacy, Applied Arts, MBA, MCA, Hotel Management & Catering Technology are concerned, there is no requirement of NOC from MHRD. However, with respect to courses in medical or para-military courses, NOC from Ministry of Health will be required.

He/she should approach the local FRRO/FRO with bona-fide student certificate, proof of adequate financial standing, etc.

Normally only one entry is allowed. However, for justifiable reasons, a foreign student can apply for additional entries at Visa Facilitation Centre, Foreigners Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Jaisalmer House, 26, Mansingh Road, New Delhi - 110003.

Return VISA given to students is valid for re-entry to India within a period of 90 days only. In such case a foreigner should obtain a fresh student visa from Indian Mission abroad to enter into India and then can take regular extension on the basis of a fresh bona-fide student certificate from the college/university.

All students including PIOs staying in India longer than 6 months are required to register with the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO). The following documents are required for registration:

  • Photocopy of the passport and initial visa
  • Four photographs of the applicant
  • Details of residence in India
  • HIV-test report from one of the WHO - recognized institutions for persons in the age group 15 to 60
  • Bona-fide Certificate from the university/college/institution
  • Proof of Bank Account/sufficient funds for nonscholarship Students.

Yes, on grant of permission for undertaking a new course, a fresh visa fee is charged.

Visa fee is charged once at the time of issuance of Student visa, for the duration of the course or for 5 years, whichever is less. In the case of 'Provisional Student Visa', when a student seeks regular admission in any college/university then a one-time course fee is charged, which is valid for the duration of the course or for 5 years, whichever is less. If the visa is issued for a period less than the duration of the course, then the visa would be extended by the concerned authorities without charging any additional fees.

Yes, foreign students can visit restricted and prohibited areas in India only after getting a valid Resident Permit, as visa alone is not sufficient to visit such places.

Yes, for a M. Phil course, a Student Visa would be required, as in the case of other courses.